Monday, February 16, 2009

Valentine's Party

Friday night we had a Valentine's Day party with our young marrieds Sunday School class. We ordered pizza, ate cake and played the Newlywed Game. Although most of us have been married for several years, the game was extremely fun. I am proud to announce that the husband and I were victorious. I was asked to bring dessert so I opted for Dark Chocolate Cake (recipe from the back of the Hershey's Dark Chocolate Cocoa box) and Red Velvet Cake. This was my first successful attempt at homemade cake (not boxed). I was very pleased with the results and due to the fact we had very little leftovers I am assuming everyone enjoyed them as well.
The Red Velvet cake recipe came from http://pinchmysalt.com/.

Red Velvet Cake
2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
2 oz. red food coloring
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

Bake two round cake pans at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

I just used the basic cream cheese icing recipe I always used but I doubled it and added a little more powdered sugar to make sure it was good and thick in order to stick to the sides of the cake.

Cream Cheese Icing
1 stick of butter
1 pkg of cream cheese
dash of vanilla
1 pound of powdered sugar.

I will probably try a few different recipes in the future. The cake was not as moist as I have tasted in other red velvet cakes. But all and all it was delicious. People at the Valentine's party were impressed. I just used red sprinkles to make the cute heart on top of the cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment